Before beginning the setup process, there are some prerequisites required.
a. Ethernet cables to make the necessary connections.
b. A working Desktop computer or a Laptop.
c. A working Internet connection.
The router when first bought needs to be setup and logged in so that the user can create a customized as well as a secure network. If the user just plugs the router in and uses it, their network might be vulnerable to potential threats. Anyone can gain access to the user’s network with the help of the default information of the router. The default information of the router is available to everyone online to help them login to their router. So, to help secure the user’s network, the user must login to the router.
Here are the steps to setup and login to the Netgear router
1. Connect the modem to the WAN port of the router using an Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are properly made.
2. Now, connect the computer or laptop to any of the Internet ports located next to the WAN port using another Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are made properly on both ends.
3. Using the same device that is connected to the router, open any internet browser of your choice. Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press enter.
4. You will then be prompted to enter a username and password for your router. The default username is “admin” and password is “password” for most of the Netgear routers. The username and password are both case sensitive.
5. The Setup Wizard appears. Click the Setup Wizard. The Setup Wizard is the web based interface for the initial setup process for the Netgear router.
6. The Setup Wizard will now try to detect the type of Internet connection that you have. For all the wired connections, the Setup Wizard detects the connection as Dynamic IP. Click Yes and hit Next.
7. After the connection has been detected, click Next to save the settings.
You will now be connected to your Netgear router and ready to use your router as you please. You can now start configuring the router as you desire.